Image Map

Thursday, April 26, 2012

30 weeks- bed rest

This blog is about to get real.

Really real.

Last week I was pretty sure my water had broken. I had a huge gush of blood/water and I just knew it was not good. My mother in law was here for the week so I was not worried about Owen. I immediately called my friend Leslie and told her I needed to go to the hospital. She was here in record time and we were seen very quickly by the doctor.

Honestly I do not remember a ton of what happened after this. I know they tried to stop the contractions (they were pretty intense and close together), they did a quick ultrasound to determine that my water had NOT broken (instead my doctor believes my placenta is beginning to detach and it was a gush of blood/fluid), and gave me all kinds of medication.

The first medication I was given, Terbeutaline, did not work to stop the contractions. They then put me on magnesium which is very very harsh on your system. I was on this for 24 hours maybe and it did slow down the contractions. Thankfully :)

I spent the next several nights in the hospital under doctors supervision and now I am thankful to say that I am home.

Unfortunately I have been placed on bed rest, I have a 3 year old, and my husband is in Alabama. So Owen is heading to Pennsylvania in a couple of days for several weeks until John gets home. I am absolutely devistated. I know that it is for the best as I can not care for him properly while on bed rest- but the other part of me feels like the most terrible mother in the world.

I (unrealistically) feel like a terrible mother choosing one child over the other. I hate that John has been gone for 5 weeks and now I am making him lose his mother for 3 weeks. I am just a mess.

I am so thankful to have great friends and family as a support, but I am just a mess right now. Please keep me, Grey, Owen, and our whole family in your prayers!!!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

How scary for you! I completely understand. I had placenta previa and something similar happened, i had a 3 yr old at home who couldn't visit me in the hospital due to H1N1 protocols (it was high season for that). Well, you are not a bad mom. Your son will probably not even remember this time so don't worry. You are doing the right thing. If you are on bedrest for a while, check out Bedrest Butler. www.bedrestbutler.com

Unknown said...

I wanted to thank you for leaving such kind words on my own blog...Grandma's Promise. I have read your blog post and want you to know that I am praying for you. I also was a military wife. My husband retired in December 2007 after 25 years active duty Air Force. (We both are only 48 years old now....seems old at times, but then again...I don't feel that old. :) I just wanted to encourage you concerning the fact your husband is away and you are needing to send your young son away from you to be cared for (I'm assuming probably with his Grandma?) You need to take care of yourself and your unborn child...but in no way should you ever feel like you are placing this new child "over" your other child. In fact....just maybe....this is an unexpected opportunity for whoever will be caring for Owen to spoil and give him special attention that will bless both that person and Owen in ways you may not understand today. If I can ever help in any way...or you just want to "air" your thoughts (other than through your blog that is) :)....please know that I welcome the opportunity to chat some more and do my best to encourage you. Take care...I'm praying for you...Theresa

The Donley's said...

I'm glad you linked up at Kelly's Korner. I am a fellow NC mama. So sorry to hear about your bedrest. I hope it flies by.