Image Map

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Welcome from Kelly's Korner

Today I decided to link up to Kelly's Korner Blog for her military family link up. I love meeting new friends in fun new ways and I thought this would be a great way to do that.


My husband and I have been married for 5.5 years.  He has been in the military for right around 6 years now. He joined after college and was accepted into Officer training school for the air force. After his commission be began training to be an Air Force Pilot.



We were married in August 2006 and almost immediately moved from Philadelphia all the way to middle of nowhere Oklahoma. It was quite a culture shock for me! The hardest part was moving away from my best friend Erin. We had lived and worked together for almost 3 years and I did not know what to do without seeing her every day! Of course we are still best friends and see each other several times a year. 


 We moved into our first apartment, began to decorate, compromise on how to live together as a married couple. A few months later we decided to purchase our first home just a few miles away. I absolutely LOVED that little house!


We spent the next year navigating the world of pilot training, doing work on our new house, and enjoying out first year of marriage. In February 2008 we found out we would be moving to Texas unexpectedly. We quickly sold our house, packed it all up, and moved 12 hours south to HOT south Texas.

Texas was so different from  Oklahoma. We really enjoyed the outdoors life. John began training and we enjoyed a little more of a relaxed atmosphere. Around July 4th 2008 we found out we were expecting our first child. I spent the first 23 weeks of my pregnancy in Corpus and I had the most wonderful doctors.

One of the best parts about being stationed in Texas was I was able to visit with some of my closest friends on occasion.

I miss them!!!

After being in Texas for about 9 months, we moved to Little Rock Arkansas. John began the last phase of his training in order to become a C-130 pilot. I really enjoyed Little Rock for all of the great things it had to offer. Most of all I love it because it is where our first child, Owen, was born on February 26, 2009.


3 months after Owen was born we packed up once again and moved to Pope Air Force Base in North Carolina. Here we purchased our second home, got used to being parents, John was finally in an operational squadron as opposed to in training. It felt like after 3 years of train we were really in the real Air Force.



We have been here in North Carolina for almost 3 years now. While we love our house and our amazing friends, we feel like it is time to move on. This is the longest we have been stationed anywhere so I am beginning to get antsy about where we may go next. We are hoping for Alaska or Colorado! :)

Since getting into the military John has been gone on 2 deployments (only 6 months total), several TDY's lasting from a couple of days to a couple of months, and several schools that have taken him away for periods of time. In fact he just returned home after being away at a school for 2 months making him gone for 7 months total in 2011. We are hoping to get to spend much more time with him in 2012.

We are also expecting our 2nd child on July 4, 2012.

The military has afforded us so many opportunities we would not have had otherwise. We love military life and are so thankful to be a part of this amazing community.

If you came over from Kelly's Korner, make sure to leave a comment so i can check out your blog as well!!!

*Amy!


10 comments:

Kati said...

Thanks for sharing your military life on Kelly's Korner! My grandpa was in the air force, so the life of moving around was familiar to my dad. He was born in Alaska and lived in Colorado and Virginia before my grandpa retired. The military life indeed provides lots of opportunities! Thank you to your husband and your family for serving our country!! I'm so thankful for families like yours!!

Jessica said...

HI!
I am so glad you stopped by my blog! Nice to "meet" you. Look forward to reading more on your blog :)

A. Westad said...

I love your blog! My husband also wants to move to AK or CO. We've been at the same base for 8 years! That's what happens when your plane (B-2) is only located at one base. Thanks for reading my blog. I will be following yours now!

This American Wife said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad to find someone close by that I may be able to connect with in real life sometime! Love the layout!

Dina said...

Hi! I wanted to stop by and say hello from Kellys Korner. I enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to following you. We are at Ft. Bragg and have been here over 3 years. I understand the antsy feeling!! We would LOVE to go to Colorado!!!

twomoellers said...

Thanks for stopping by and sending me your way. I love the name Owen!

Kodi said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm anxious to see where y'all end up next! Colorado is supposed to be beautiful & Alaska is also! Our military plans have been turned upside down with my husband's recent diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes so we have no idea what's going to happen. Nice to "meet" you! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love yours and excited to keep up with your adventures! Your family is so adorable!

Lacy said...

SO nice to "meet" you Amy! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I too really enjoyed getting the chance to meet other military wives/mommas through Kelly's link up! It's so nice to read other stories from people who "get" military life. Congrats on expecting baby #2...we're due with our second in May, so I look forward to following your pregnancy as well as seeing where/when y'all go next!!

Unknown said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you'll follow me and what we'll be doing in the army. We lived in North Carolina for a short time before my hubs enlisted. I would love to be stationed there mainly because all our family is on the east coast! Nice to find so many other army wives!