Image Map

Friday, January 30, 2009

34 weeks- L&D Trip 2

This photo was actually taken last weekend at 33 weeks 6 days.

On Tuesday I was having severe stomach pains, contractions, and some bleeding. I called my doctor and she told me to go ahead and come into the office to get checked out. 

So she took my weight, blood pressure, checked for any dilation (none) and poked around on my belly. She could tell I was in terrible pain right around the belly button so she sent me to Labor and Delivery, again, for monitoring and so that they could do some ultrasounds. 

I really really love the hospital! I was wheeled over to L and D and my nurse from Sunday was there, and remembered me (i am always impressed by that). She got to take care of me again which I was so thankful for. In Corpus the nursing staff was NOT NICE but here they are fantastic! I really really love the experience I have had so far. My doctor came to check on me about an hour after I arrived and ordered me some pain meds. A little while later they took me down for an ultrasound. They checked my gallbladder, pancreas, intestines, etc. The placenta looks good, it is just anterior (meaning it covers my belly instead of my back). 

Owen looks great! He is approximately 5lbs and 19.5 inches long. He is in the head down position, however he is "sunny-side-up". So instead of him facing my back, he is facing my stomach. This can cause a ton of back pain (yup), me feeling him less than some people (yup), longer to dilate when delivery happens, it will take longer to push him out, etc. 

By the time I got back from the ultrasound John had arrived at the hospital so he was able to spend the next 5 hours with me.

I was hooked up to the contraction monitor and my uterus was quite "irritable". I was having not so timable contractions- but pretty big ones. My doc gave me a shot to make them stop, and the shot was terrible! It made my heart rate go up 20 beats per minute, I got so HOT, I was shaking, etc. But it did the job, the contractions tapered off a bit. 

They finally sent me on my way. Basically I may have a hernia, they can not really prove it at this time, and if I do, there is nothing that can be done about it anyways. It will go away after the baby comes. They said all they can do for now is treat the pain symptoms. YIKES!!!! 

I go back to my doctor next Friday. I hope she has something a little more encouraging to say! 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Was the shot you were given terbutaline? I had that and have to agree that it's pretty painful with some not so fun side effects. Did you get the shakes too?

Amy@Salotti Family Blog said...

yes this is exactly what it was. it was terrible!!!! i hope to never have that shot again. i definitely had the shakes. it felt like i had taken way too much asthma medication or something. i want to talk to you about the sunny-side-up thing too...